As part of our mission to promote collaborations and learning across overlapping areas of muscle research, the Center sponsored Nationwide Children’s Hospital in providing the annual Myology Course for students and postdocs, directed by Center faculty member Kevin Flanigan, MD. This was the first US workshop of its kind, featuring a mix of basic and clinical science lectures followed by specific training in either basic science laboratory techniques or clinical treatment protocols.
The goal of these week-long immersive training sessions is to help trainees go beyond a basic understanding of muscle disease by gaining insights and experience from experts in the field. The expert faculty provides an up-to-date survey of neuromuscular diseases and addresses clinical syndromes, mechanisms of pathogenesis, molecular therapeutics, and aspects of career development. In laboratory sessions, PhD trainees will cross-train in new techniques to improve their skill set. We ultimately strive to help prepare the next generation of clinicians and translational researchers for successful research careers. See below for Myology Course offerings and participants.
- Basic Electromyography and Nerve Conduction Studies in Mouse Models
- Advanced Electromyography and Nerve Conduction Studies in Mouse Models
- Introduction to Flow Cytometry to Study Muscle Progenitor Cells
- Intramuscular, Intravascular, and Intracoronary Injections in Mice: A Primer
- Muscle Histopathology
- Zebrafish Wet Lab
- Primary Myoblast/Myotube Preparations
- Single Myofiber Preparation
- Detection Methods for Muscle Protein Post-Translational Modifications
- Muscle Physiology Lab
- Ventricular Myocyte Isolation
Example Course Offerings and Schedule (Excel file)
FREE Registration & Lodging
Through generous support from our current and past sponsors, including the Muscular Dystrophy Association, Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy, the Senator Paul D. Wellstone Muscular Dystrophy Cooperative Research Center at Nationwide Children’s Hospital, and The Ohio State University, registration and lodging are provided at no cost to Myology Course attendees.
To apply and register for this year’s Myology Course, visit: http://www.nationwidechildrens.org/myology-course